P & G Settee - Original Prototype
The name, P & G Settee was inspired by a husband & Wife team whose names were Peggy & Gordon. They bought a brown stone in Manhattan late in the 70's and lived, with their little family, on the garden and parlor levels of the NYC town house, turning the upper 4 floors into a Bed & Breakfast long before computer based airbnb or other sites for travelers. We always loved visiting them for there were often people from all over the world coming and going, making for a very lively household, indeed. We would find ourselves tucking in on a couch or pile of pillows on the parlor floor for the night. Later, when we began making rattan furniture we designed this piece in honor of our friends initials.
We had these beautiful classic, handmade cotton mattresses made to order, in dimensions we needed (it was fun to make them as the cushion on the settee with the ends buckled into belts which became self bolsters on the sides of the settee and then when time to tuck in, they would be unbuckled and layed out to the full length of the opened cot!). The drawers would hold the pillow, linens, bathing towels and pillows, and in the morn, when it would be buckled together again for the day's settee, damp towels would hang to dry on the bar of the feet at either side of the settee! It was such a practical piece, and beautiful in every way.
Materials: Rattan caning and poles. Birchwood, hand-sewn and buttoned ticking mattress.
CONDITION: This P & G Settee ended up in our collection but was never finished in production. It is missing:
- Thistle finials (any large wooden curtain rod finials would step in well to do the job)
- Long belts which fit through the mattress to buckle up into bolsters (any tie, ribbon, long strap or men's belt would work)
- Two small buckles that hold the two back corners together (also cords, tassel tie backs or two belts would work. Cut shorter & holes punched in the leather for the smaller belt size)
- Two fish Knobs for fancier drawer pulls (these can usually be found on EBay, or use rattan bar pulls on it, as shown in the images, till the knobs of choice are applied in their place)
- The small finials for the leg rests, we have and will send along
88.5" long (122.5" when fully extended) x 30" deep x 40" tall (overall) x 18" seat height
This piece may be picked up, or you may arrange for your own shipping (we suggest www.uship.com). No shipping will be charged at checkout.